Pages

New Zealand - Aotearoa by BlossomFlowerGirl

New Zealand Time

Aotearoa Snapshots

Click on Flag or Select Your Language to Translate

ArabicChinese (Simplified)DutchEnglishFrenchGermanHindiIndonesianItalianJapanesePortugueseRussianSpanishTurkishUrduBengaliNepali

Tēnā koutou katoa

This is all about New Zealand - Aotearoa - and the time I spent there. Magical times, beautiful scenery, gushing geysers, thermal wonderlands. Hear about Waitangi Day, discover the meaning of the word "Aotearoa", see the Glaciers, read about hangis and Hakas, and visit the beautiful Bay of Islands. So come with me on a journey - a journey to The Land of The Long White Cloud.
Kia ora


CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKE TRIBUTE 2011



Watch The Haka

35. Wellington - Accommodation & a Funny Story

Wednesday 10 January

We arrived in Wellington at 4.00pm and did not get driven up Mt. Victoria because of fog and rain, which was a bit disappointing, but we can't control the weather.

YHA Wellington City

The YHA was excellent, I had Room 606 on the 6th Floor and had a marvelous view. There only other occupant was Rachel, who was from Perth. She'd been in Welly a couple of weeks and was working or looking for work.

The Terrace Lounge was a lovely quiet area where you could read and there was a small balcony outside. The kitchen and dining room were excellent with very good facilities.


View From My Dorm Window

This photo was taken from a window at the YHA on the corner of Wakefield Street and Oriental Parade and looks out over the supermarket to the harbour.

The funny story
Although it wasn't funny at the time, I can laugh about it now. I hand washed my underwearand hung them on the window latches. I kept checking to make sure they hadn't blown off - still there, that's alright then. But, horror of horrors! Next time I looked, they were gone. The bra had fallen down. Went to reception, looked for a female worker, but there were none. Explained to the young fellow and asked where would they have fallen and could I get them please? What was it that fell down, he wanted to know. Clothes, said I. What clothes, said he. Underwer, said I. What was it and what colour was it said he.

Oh-oh, nothing doing. He said they would have landed on the rooftop outside reception and I wasn't allowed there. He went and "retrieved" them and said coming back, "What colour is it? Is this it"? I was soooo embarrassed. He tried very hard not to smile - as I said, he tried, I didn't say he succeeded. What made it doubling embarrassing was there were two young blokes on reception.


View From My Dorm Window

The Fire Station could be seen from the other window in my dorm.
This essentially Moderne building built to replace the previous Central Fire Station has a symmetrical facade & a set-back central tower decorated with vestiges of Art Deco

First planned in 1932 by architect C.H. Mitchell it was officially opened by the Governor General Lord Galway on 1 December 1937

The clock a gift to the city from the Blundell family was originally placed in the Wellington Town Hall in 1922 but after the removal of the Town
Hall tower for earthquake reasons it was moved here.

Outdoor Courtyard

This is where I sat with a couple of people from the YHA and celebrated my birthday - with liquid refreshment. A nice bottle of wine, some beer, and more wine and we had a jolly good time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...